Cool Device for Irrigation Control

I've always had an interest in Home Automation - and over the years I have installed and owned everything from X10 and UPB to Z-Wave, Crestron, HAI, DSC, Russound, Elan, etc..

One of areas I started looking at recently was controlling my irrigation system.   I was getting tired on my landscapers constantly changing the settings and I wanted to be able to have a little more control then just the traditional stand-alone system. So I started looking at what was possible.

The traditional players - RainBird, RainDial, Orbit etc - all have commercial grade systems that you can control by computer and have weather stations, drip buckets, and use advanced models like EvapoTranspiration (ET) to determine watering cycles.  

While all very cool - they really are commercial grade and can start to get pricey.   So what if you want something simpler and more cost effective.  

As I started doing some due diligence, I originally was thinking somewhat old school - so a stand alone system that had a serial interface and that could be controlled via an interface to like a Crestron. The answer came back as not really.

Then I ran across these guys..  Quicksmart.

They have a nice little product called EtherRain - a small, inexpensive networked irrigation controller.  You can control it from a computer or iPhone - very cool.   

Haven't plunked down the cash for one yet - so I can't share how my experience has been - but if your thinking about something similar - these guys may be worth checking out.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solar Storage - 2023 Update

ASUS RT-AC68U Router & WDS - a nice solution for a large home.

Home Automation Platforms + Matter - Early Observations