Windows 10 Tech Preview - Build 10130 - More of the same

Friday May 29th - MS released their latest Windows 10 Tech Preview - Build 10130.

As always I installed on 2 devices - a traditional desktop PC and a 8" Atom based tablet.

So one piece of good news with 10130 versus the experience with previous builds was that there was not nearly as much drama with the tablet install this time.  

No Windows update errors - relatively smooth download and update.  The only complaint on the tablet is that as soon as the screen went out - the install appeared to pause.  So the day I installed - I started Windows Update at 6:45A and ran some errands.  Every time I would stop back there had been some progress but it seemed to be very slow.   The upgrade on the tablet did not finish until 3P and only because I monitored it.  Not 100% if this was a power saving configuration - issue - but the update would only run when I activated the screen..   But most importantly it did complete successfully without errors - so a big yea there...

So some new versions of apps - mostly Music & Video - which is now called Movies & TV.  There are also some new launch icons - but the desktop ones remain the old.  

The Album feature of Photos is now working - but I really don't see a huge difference.  

I did have one annoyance with OneDrive and it's inconsistencies across my two platforms.   On the PC - only the Documents, Attachments & Pictures folder sync down to my device and on the tablet only the Documents & SkyDrive Camera Roll sync.  It took a bit of digging to find the fix - but the best approach is to open Task Manager and end the OneDrive task - then delete your local OneDrive folder and reboot. OneDrive will then re-initiate - ask you for login credentials and then ask you which folders you want to sync - and that will get you back to where you want...  The sync configuration needs to be a property of the OneDrive "folder" in ThisPC or maybe a setting..  

Issues like this and the associated fixes are the things that to me plague Windows 10.   Sure its a Preview build - but with all the rumors flying around about a July release - there is just this feeling that it's still way unfinished..  Too many things still don't really work correctly or are really not as polished as you might think with only a month or so away from release.   

Other examples include the current state of the start menu and the debris left by each of the previous builds, previews, etc.   You can go in and try to clean them up but some you can't even uninstall.  Others have cryptic registry entry style titles with no icon - so you have no idea of what it is and do you keep it or 86 it.    

Honestly I do need to perform a clean install of Windows 10 on my tablet but at the same time - I haven't had half the issues with the same builds on my desktop and I've also approached it the same way - always just performing an upgrade to the next build.. via Fast Ring... 

I've never worried about the Core OS in Windows 10 - it's very solid and fast. And outside of some upgrade problems with my daughters HP Pavilion laptop - I have had zero blue screens or hangs across a pretty wide range of devices.   

It's the rest of it - Native apps, MSN apps, Store, etc - they are a mess.  And that's what people see.  Only us geeks care about device drivers and peripheral support, power settings, etc. etc.   If we are really as close to release as some are predicting then I expect a somewhat luke warm response.  

The apps here are pretty basic - show some pictures, play a movie, play some music, sync files to a cloud store..buy an app and keep it up to date.   Hell my Samsung Galaxy S5 Phone runs rings around Windows 10 and the MS Ecosystem and that's inexcusable from a company with the maturity and resources of MS.

Anyway - I'll keep hacking away with these builds - hopefully we'll be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel soon...

During my testing - I did shoot myself in the foot...  I noticed that my touch was off and I was having hard time getting windows to close properly - so I decided to run the Touch Calibration Tool in Control Panel.   Mistakenly I started it in landscape mode and then half way through I realized I needed to switch to portrait to complete.  The end result was a mess.   Luckily it only impacted touch and so I was able to use my pen to reset..  This may have seemed like a rookie mistake - but the tool never warned me or stopped my from the process by understanding that I was not in Portrait mode - so if you experience touch calibration issues and decide to re-calibrate - make sure you are in portrait mode only..   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solar Storage - 2023 Update

ASUS RT-AC68U Router & WDS - a nice solution for a large home.

Home Automation Platforms + Matter - Early Observations