WIndows 10 Mobile - Build 10149 - Some nice improvement

On June 26 Microsoft released Windows 10 Mobile build 10149 to Fast Ring.   As always I installed on a Nokia Lumia 635 and a 735.

So versus 10136 you could update directly to 10149 - which is a big yea over the 10080 to 10136 road.  

There were some issues - when I first ran Windows Updates on both devices I got a 0X80080005 error and had to perform a phone restart to get Windows Update to run properly.   I also noticed a Fast Ring Configuration update that came down with build 10149 as well..

The 735 updated cleanly.  The 635 again struggled.  Especially with what I call post upgrade app updates.   When the update on the 635 completed and the start screen appeared - all looked good.   But slowly - tiles started to disappear. For example individual contacts pinned to the start - at first all there and then gone.   Flipping to the All Apps screen - it will refresh as apps get updated.  But then when I tried to open settings it stated "can not open app - check the Store".  Okay - so click on the Store app to see what is still downloading and oops the store states "can not open app - check the store".    It took nearly an hour from the time the update completed until all the apps updated.  And MS provide no notification to state that this was happening.  In fact when I finally got to the store app it shows nothing downloading....  

So far as I can tell - I have to say that 10149 is a very nice improvement over 10136.  Simple things that should have worked actually do work now - so Live tiles are back for the MSN apps, Maps worked again - they had stopped for a while.  Also they had cleaned most of the all apps list - there still were redundant Phone and Search

I also was able to cleanly download the latest Office Preview apps and they seem to run well.  There is also a nice integration with OneDrive - so once you get past initiation screens Word immediately goes to your OneDrive documents folder - which is the way it should.   

The big addition for build 10149 is Microsoft Edge the official product name for Project Spartan.  Considering how horrible IE was for WP - anything is an improvement.  Edge does seem very fast.  What still bugs me though is the lack of a home page selection.  Yeah called me old school - but I want to be able launch a new Edge session and go straight to Google for example and I can't.

Overall the Phone seems to run well.  There is a little jerkiness when scrolling the start screen - that I didn't have with WP8.1 U2 on the 735.  The 635 was smooth - so not sure if a legacy background app is consuming too many resources or if there is something at a driver level on the 735 causing the issue.

Bottom line is there is some improvement beginning to show up for Windows 10 Mobile.   

Like everyone else I'm waiting for the next office desktop/laptop/tablet build.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solar Storage - 2023 Update

ASUS RT-AC68U Router & WDS - a nice solution for a large home.

Home Automation Platforms + Matter - Early Observations