Windows 10 - Build 10159 - Surprise, Surprise, Surprise

So no sooner than most of us got done installing Windows 10 Build 10158 - MS announced the availability of 10159 to Fast Ring...

Since only two of the 4 test machines I have can actually see 10159 in Windows Update - I was only able to update my desktop and laptop.   Due to post build 10130 OS install Windows Update issues with both my AIO and Tablet - it looks as though they'll have to wait for ISOs to become available to upgrade them.

The initial challenge with 10159 was getting it or even knowing that is was downloading.   On the desktop I saw 10159 - but the downloading progress bar sat at 0%.  Several re-attempts reported errors downloading and a lot of notes on the community site stated the servers were overloaded.  So I rebooted and started Windows update and let the system sit overnight.   In the morning it was still at 0%.   

So my desktop dual boots to Windows 8.1/Windows 10 and I rebooted over to Windows 8.1 for while and and then when I returned back to Windows 10 - and launched Windows Update - all of a sudden I see Preparing to Install for 10159 @ 60% - so I let it finish prepping and allowed the upgrade to occur. Which completed with no errors.

On the laptop - I had done nothing - just let 10158 run and when I checked today - 10159 was ready to restart to install.  So a much smoother process...

According to Gabe Aul from MS - 10159 corrected some 300+ bugs and also provided a new login screen.  What some are describing as the Hero screen..

The Post OS app install / upgrade was a little less intrusive this time - but that is because I suspect that most of the apps were updated with 10158 yesterday.

I did have a Post OS HP Printer Driver update fail.. 

From an overall experience perspective I did have a few challenges.  For example the Photos app would suddenly crap out and just go away.

Same with the new Phone Companion app - I launched it - saw the screen for maybe a second, then it died.  

For right now I am keeping the Windows 10 environments pretty basic - just the OS and Office 2016.  I haven't started to add 3rd party apps like Adobe, Chrome, iTunes, etc, etc.   That will come soon...

Personally I hate the new Windows Update process - you have very limited control - you have to go to multiple locations to try and manage Windows update - the UI is confusing..   MS in my opinion has really complicated a cheese sandwich and just created a support headache...

Honestly there is no way to check what 300+ bugs were fixed because MS's release notes are a joke - but overall - outside of the new login screen it's hard to tell what all has changed.   

Bottom line - here we are less than 30 days from release and new pieces parts are just showing up - like Phone companion - and guess what - doesn't work.

The upgrade process is still spotty and some mainstream apps crash.  

In this bloggers opinion - Windows 10 is not ready for prime time.  Especially for general public users on Windows 7 - 8.1 on existing hardware using the upgrade process that MS is prescribing.   I can just see it now - a Windows 7 users on a 6 year old desktop opts in and installs Windows 10 and then logs in and notices a Software Removed icon with a list of like 10 apps that didn't make the grade and then the basic apps like Music and Photos don't really work.   So okay then they say rollback and it fails..    The noise will be pretty loud...






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solar Storage - 2023 Update

ASUS RT-AC68U Router & WDS - a nice solution for a large home.

Home Automation Platforms + Matter - Early Observations