Windows 10 Mobile Build 10586.36 - A Reflection of change

Today - December 17, MS released it's second Cumulative Update to Windows 10 Mobile build 10586.  This one is called 10586.36.   

As I mentioned in my original November 18 post on Windows Mobile 10 - there appeared to be a lot of last minute releases and while I did not really experience any problems with my Lumia 635s & 735 - obviously some folks did and it also appears there were a few issues with the new 950/950XLs as well..

So first there was 10586.11, then 10586.29 and now 10583.36.  Also the expected release of Windows 10 Mobile to non Windows Insiders has also been delayed until January...

So what's going on ? To be honest I'm not 100% sure.  But I have a few thoughts about this issue.

As I mentioned I had no issue with any of the above mentioned builds on my Lumia 3x series devices.  All downloaded and installed with no issues and I had no problems with either.  As with regular Windows 10 - MS has been pretty tight lipped about what the fixes are - so not sure exactly all the problems these updates were to correct.   

But the fact that at least two cumulative updates have been required in less than a month shows some challenges with Windows 10 Mobile.   In addition while the Redstone branch build 11082 was release for desktops, laptops and tablets - it was NOT released for mobile.

In my opinion - this reinforces a few thoughts I've had about the Lumia line of devices and where MS is going with Windows 10 for Mobile.

As I've mentioned in some previous posts I think that the Lumia 950/950XL are nice devices.  But I also believe they are kind of a stop gap and that the focus of the Redstone branch is to support MS's Intel based phone - not Lumia...

MS will certainly follow through on their promise of getting Windows 10 out to existing WP 8 users on older devices - but I don't expect a lot more than that. 

In fact I think this whole new build release numbering scheme of 10586.xx is a reflection of that.   Meaning that I believe that MS will keep the 10586 code base for Lumia devices and use cumulative updates via the .xx extension to provide updates.  

Meaning that maybe there will be more updates like this over the next year or so assuming that 10586.36 fixes the key deployment issues - and that Lumia devices will not follow the Redstone branch..   

Sure I could be wrong - but in my opinion the Lumia line is dead.  MS's next phone will be part of the Surface line and Intel based - running Redstone.
MS will not invest further in the Lumia line.   Basically Lumia is in maintenance mode.  That is why I call the 950/950XL the end of an era and really don't recommend buying one.   I think the new Surface phone will out by MS's end of FY16 in June..which is when the Redstone branch is expected to release.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solar Storage - 2023 Update

ASUS RT-AC68U Router & WDS - a nice solution for a large home.

Home Automation Platforms + Matter - Early Observations