Windows 10 for PC Build 14352 - Mostly Fixes

Late in the day on May 26 - MS released Windows 10 for PC build 14352 for Fast Ring Insiders.  There was no 14352 release for Mobile.  More on that later.

14352 Added some new features to Cortana, Ink, Game Bar and Feedback apps as well as some improvements to the Enterprise Edition deployment. 

Additionally it included about 2 dozen fixes, many of which focused on the Action Center as well as platform specific fixes to Surface Books, Precision Touchpads, etc.

As always I installed 14352 on desktop, laptop and tablet platforms.  Versus 14342, this install did seem smoother and overall ran better.   I had some issues with my tablet with 14342, but 352 installed no problem

There were a large number of app updates - From Mail & Calendar, to Maps, MSN Apps, Groove, Games, Sticky Notes, etc.  Some 16 in all.  

And one big yea - the Store finally shows a history of most recent apps and updates.  If you select Downloads and Updates, the click on Check for Updates, even if nothing new is available to get a list called Recent Activity that shows the app, the class (App, Game, etc) the version and date installed.  This information should be integrated into Settings/System/Apps.  The Apps settings does show size and date, but not version.

Even though some new features floated in with 14352, it's all about the fixes now.  I actually expect the pace of Insider releases to slow as MS bundles groups of fixes into new builds probably every 10 days to 2 weeks.  We are about 9 weeks away from Windows 10 Anniversary and I expect to see maybe 3 or 4 more Insider builds before the official end of the Redstone 1 branch and the Anniversary release.

As I mentioned there was no 14352 release for Mobile.  Instead MS released 2 days earlier 14342.1004 which was specifically to address some battery drain issues with 920/922 devices.  With that said it did seem to improve the battery life and BT issues I was having on my 735.  

But what is interesting here is that all of sudden the Mobile released of Redstone is getting the .xxx release numbering that occurred after Threshold 2 10586 was released.  At last check we are at 10584.242 for that branch.  

Given the most recent announcements regarding MS and the Lumia brand and line I am actually wondering if MS has stopped all development for Lumia and that effectively the Redstone branch for Mobile stopped at build 14342 and now is in maintenance mode - like 10586 is.  

This is just speculation on my part - but if this is the case - MS has done a huge dis-service to it's customers.   I know that if I had spent $650 on a Lumia 950XL - I'd be pissed right now.  While I knew that the Lumia 5 series was the end of an era, but the way it seems to have very abruptly ended just shows how little respect MS has for it's customers.   Sure, sure MS will "support" the Lumia, but that is a really loose term.  

Even if I am wrong about this, I expect the vast majority of Lumia devices will not be included in Redstone 2 development.  Meaning that whatever Windows 10 Mobile build gets released at Anniversary, that will be it for all Lumia's with the possible exception of the 950/950XL.  So 550/650 owners along with everyone else who made it this far will stop.

With MS focusing more on "Enterprise" then any Redstone 2 development and testing for Mobile may require you to have a 950/950XL,  HP Elite X3 or Acer Liquid Jade Primo.  This will mean the end of testing for me as I have mentioned that I will not be purchasing any new Windows 10 Mobile devices.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solar Storage - 2023 Update

ASUS RT-AC68U Router & WDS - a nice solution for a large home.

Home Automation Platforms + Matter - Early Observations