Windows 10 - Build 14971 - More of the same

On Nov 17, MS released Windows 10 Build 14971 of the Creators Update to Fast Ring Insiders.  This was a PC only build release.

The build added new features around epub document reading in Edge, added the new 3D Paint app, an updated Get Office app and some improvements around Chinese and Japanese typing input.   Along with these features some 15 bugs where addressed.

Starting with build 14959 and then 14965 - Windows update began to use the new differential update delivery method to speed download times.   While I did see a slight improvement with the download speed of 14971 - it really didn't impact the overall end-to-end time of "Check for Updates" through new build Login.  

One call out in the known issues that appeared with 14965 and was not corrected in 14971 - that was the sudden auto launching of MSN and other Store apps like Photos, Groove and Mail.  

After I had written my initial post on 14965 - I started experiencing that issue.  

For me it was Mail, Store, News, Sports, Money and Photos.  They would launch about every hour or so to a blank screen.  It was particularly annoying having to click through each app and close it.  When you launched them manually from Start they worked fine.   

Thinking it may have been related to Live Tile updates - I tried turning off background operations for the apps - but it was to no avail.  I also tried App reset - but it had no impact either.   

For 14971 - MS has posted a work around for now - which is to click off maximize on the app before closing.  

Just after updating to 14971 - I launched each of the problem apps, clicked off maximize then closed the app. We'll see if it corrects the problem.  Considering that we might not see another build until after Thanksgiving - I hope it works.  I would hate to have to go another two weeks with that headache.  The good news has been that in the time I have been writing this post and other tasks - the problem seems to have stopped.  

One additional situation I have been experiencing with my Venue Pro is the failure of the camera app to recognize my cameras.  And even though the Venue Pro was built for Windows 8/8.1 and has compatible camera hardware, it took several attempts to get the proper camera driver to install.  The good news is now the camera works.  

As I've mentioned in several of the previous posts on the Creators Update builds - they generally feel like their just bumping along.  Sure we are starting to seeing some of the features detailed, but for the most part - they really aren't changing the way I use or think of Windows.  

Now sure - most of my devices do not support touch and pen input - so my Ink testing is limited to my Dell Venue tablet only.  But unless you are an avid user of Sticky Notes or the SketchPad - these apps are more fluff than they are something you use every day.  Sure it's kind of nice to have Ink capabilities in Maps, but to be honest I don't rely that much on MS Maps.  And so the question becomes does having Ink capabilities make me more productive ?  Speaking today using the platforms I do - the answer is no.   Would I answer differently if I had a Surface Book or Studio - maybe.  

As much as I like to keep up to date with the latest Windows 10 builds, the value I see coming from the Creators Update is of no value unless you have a device that can support all of the new features and capabilities.  

The question then is for all those folks on the Anniversary Build, will they see any benefit either ?   I stopped the Windows Insider program on several of my machines after the Anniversary update and to be honest there will be little added value with the Creators Update.  All the machines currently run fine, but don't have 10 point touch, pen, hello cameras, etc.  The challenge with this new Windows as a service model is - okay - I'd like to stop updating now.  But the reality is you can't.  So when March 2017 rolls around all my machines will update to the Creators Update.  The hope is that all the focus on these new input capabilities won't impact the overall experience.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solar Storage - 2023 Update

ASUS RT-AC68U Router & WDS - a nice solution for a large home.

Home Automation Platforms + Matter - Early Observations