Windows 10 Build 16215 - A mixed bag

On Thursday June 8 some 22 days after the release of build 16199 - MS released build 16215 to Fast Ring Insiders

This build began to introduce new UI components - specifically Start and Action Center based on the Fluent Design System introduced at the BUILD conference.

There were a bunch of improvements to the struggling Edge browser as well as Cortana, Pen and Ink, Keyboard, Input, Font and Settings improvements.

All in a a pretty large set, but as with many of the Creators Update approach is focused on touch and ink based computing.

I attempted the update on my typical group of devices - a traditional desktop, laptop and tablet.   One thing I did notice is that instead of the multi phase approach - a couple of my machines performed a download and installing updates then prompted for reboot and did the configuration and working phases.

Old my three machines - the old Intel Atom based tablet actually took the update easiest.  

The laptop was slightly more painful - and so while I didn't get prompted to manually remove Cisco's AnyConnect - the update did mess up WiFi - which meant I had to perform a manual removal and re-install post update.  the update also had to perform a post update driver update for Conexant HD audio.

The desktop update didn't "fail" per se, but Windows could not initialize the WiFi driver and the start menu would launch - but quickly go away and you could select any apps to run.  After multiple attempts and even following some tips and tricks from communities with the same result - I finally had to revert back to 16199.   It's possible that my desktop may have reached the end of the line for Windows 10 compatibility.

Some other small annoyances were that the People app was not displayed on the Start Menu and when you went to the Store it said already installed.   It does launch from within Mail - but that is it.  In addition some 3rd party apps like Veeam Client Backup now fail.   

Personally I don't see a lot of value in the new Action Center or Start UI and I'm not sure that for the average desktop/laptop user there is any real value in the new Fluent Design System.   This was one of those change for change sake updates that really doesn't move the needle on overall User Experience.  

Similarly many of the other updates were either focused on apps I don't use like Edge or Pen, Touch, Ink capabilities that few use.   

For me the hope is they'll fix the WiFi and Start menu issues so that I can continue to move forward on my desktop.  Otherwise I may need to abandon the Insider builds and return to 15063.   

But as I've stated in other posts - Windows 10 to me has always been too Surface focused.  Sure it's MS's new thing - to be a hardware player - but the reality is that A) Surface does not sell in large quantities, B) most people still don't use touch or pen much on a laptop and C) most MS and 3rd party apps don't really do touch or pen that well.   So why spend so much effort on it.

Hopefully we'll see a new build sooner than 22 days.   






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ASUS RT-AC68U Router & WDS - a nice solution for a large home.

Solar Storage - 2023 Update

Home Automation Platforms + Matter - Early Observations