Windows RS5 & 19H1 - Okay if the update works

It's been over a month since I've posted anything regarding Windows 10 - either the upcoming Redstone 5 - 1809 release or the 19H1 builds...

So two reasons - first on the 19H1 side there have only been 3 builds released in the last 40+ days and to be honest they've all been kind of a yawner as MS have been focusing more effort around the RS5 release builds.

I tried my first RS5 update in a while on my Dell Venue 8 Pro and I really can't report on anything - because it won't install.   I had previously been on Build 18219 of 19H1 and the Venue continued to fail to install the latest 18234 build.

So this morning I downloaded the production RS4 - 1803 build and performed a fresh install - then joined the Fast Ring.   While the latest RS5 Release build 17755.1 update showed up immediately - it failed at the end of the download stage - not moving on the Installation phase with a 0x8844018 error.   

To me this kind of reinforces the issues with Windows 10.  If MS can't figure out how to perform a successful update over a fresh build with no apps installed - then there are bigger problems out there.   

In addition - the new features I see coming out are also pretty boring.  Features like ToDo, Sticky Notes and Snip & Sketch are to me gimmicks at best and simply redundant.   The MyPhone app is similar - do I really care about it - no.

Windows 10 still remains a hot-mess of varying generational UIs with add on features that few use.  

According to news outlets MS is planning the 1809 release sometime in early October - probably around the time of the recently announced hardware event on Oct 2.  So that means insiders will see release code in the next two weeks.  We'll probably also see Office 2019 on Oct 2 as well.   

As far as 19H1 is concerned - I will reduce my Insider efforts to 1 machine as I don't see much value in the Insider Program anymore.  

The needle has stopped moving...









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ASUS RT-AC68U Router & WDS - a nice solution for a large home.

Solar Storage - 2023 Update

Home Automation Platforms + Matter - Early Observations