Home Automation - Some cool things I've installed this year

I provide monitoring and repair services to a number of properties for folks - so automation capabilities have become a big deal.

Depending on any one customers budget and interest - I install security, lighting, HVAC, irrigation & water mgmt, pool and garage devices.  The goal typically is to A) provide some visibility into the general state of home and B) control key functions that can save the property owner money.

Here is what I've been installing recently and my experiences with them.

Security

Typically for me a two vendor solution - Arlo for cameras and Nest for Smoke Alarms, Door Bell and Security system.  

I chose Arlo over Nest for cameras primarily due to the battery support with Arlo allowing placement just about anywhere.  While Nest cameras are very good - their reliance on a physical power connection really limits your deployment options.  With Arlo the cameras are good, its easy to set up and the cost is reasonable.  I often buy base + camera bundles from Costco.  I highly recommend buying the battery charger and 1 or 2 extra batteries.  This way you always have a fully charged battery and can easily do rotational swap outs.  

Nest Smoke+CO detectors are an automatic for me - especially with 120V hardwired installations.  They work well, regularly test themselves, provide nightlight capabilities and look good.   

I recently changed from Ring doorbells to Nest.  The camera quality on the Nest is excellent.  The installation is slightly different requiring you to install a chime connector into to your existing chime - but otherwise works well.  

Lighting

I also made a change here.  As I've written about in other posts - I have moved away from ZWave/Zigbee devices and gone purely WiFi.  I've found the gateways were not reliable and the mesh networking not very good especially in large homes.   

I've had great success with the Leviton Decora Smart WiFi line of switches and dimmers.  While like any "smart" switch it requires the proper wiring - the Leviton's support something really important in many larger homes with 3 way and 4 way installations.  They also support Amazon Echo integration.  I'd love to see fan/light controls in this line as well.  

While products like WeMo are also good and low cost - they are limited to single pole installations.  

HVAC

Again for me Nest is an automatic.  I've installed about 10 in the last two years and they just work.  If there is any complaint I have it's the round shape and when you're typically ripping out older Honeywell rectangular devices - you with A) have to use to mount plate or B) have wall paint to touch up.

Irrigation & Water Management

I've been installing Orbit BHyve irrigation controllers and really like them.  Their less expensive than Rachio and provide traditional manual controls as well.  They use the same weather sources and auto adjust, have Echo support and are EPA Water Sense certified.  Out here in AZ - many city governments will actually refund you the purchase price.

Recently I've also been installing water metering and control solutions.  The one I like so far is called Flo.  It's a compact unit that installs just past the pressure control valve on your main water line.  It provides you detailed usage statistics and can "detect" leaks and when excessive - will auto-shut off your water.  It's a little pricey @ $500 but when you consider the potential damage caused by a flood it's well worth it.   In a recent installation - it helped uncover a 2 gallon per hour leak in a waterfall pool filler.  While two gallons / hour doesn't sound like much that's 50 gallons/day - 1500 / month.   For this customer who is on a combination of well/cistern and trucked in water - it was huge.  

Pools

I've had great success with Pentair ScreenLogic devices.  Pool automation can get pricey as the control systems themselves are often north of $1000 and if you have a single pump system it can seem like overkill.  With that said - having pump, valve, feature control is well worth it in addition to things like freeze prevention that will automatically turn on pumps and move water to avoid pump damage.

Garage

I've installed two different systems this year - albeit from the same manufacturer Chamberlain.  In one one I needed to replace some old screw drive openers.  I installed LiftMaster 8355 openers with built in WiFi.  At another home I installed the MyQ hub and door sensors.  Both use the same app and work well.  The ability to monitor and control the doors remotely is great.  

WiFi

One key to making this all work is really good WiFi.  I've had great success with NetGear Orbi Mesh systems.  Yes they can get pricey - especially when installing in large homes with multiple indoor and outdoor satellites - but the end result when installed properly is really high quality services across and entire property along with ability to support all of the items I've discussed above.  The one thing I like about the Orbi systems is the available wired ports on the back of the satellites.  There are times when some end devices just need a wired connection and the Orbi serves that well.   I've installed 6 networks in the last two years and for many folks it's a night/day difference between older single router/extender solutions.   













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ASUS RT-AC68U Router & WDS - a nice solution for a large home.

Solar Storage - 2023 Update

Home Automation Platforms + Matter - Early Observations