Cutting the Cord - 2020 Edition

Over the last few years - I've performed various cord cutting experiments in an attempt to A) get all the content my family consumes and B) reduce the the cost compared to the Cable/Sat providers.

The challenge with previous experiments was often issues with local channel support or picture & sound quality or total cost when looking to supporting 4+ active TVs.

The good news is things have changed and you now have a much better experience at reasonable pricing.

My most recent experiment involved both the new Google Chromecast with Google TV and YouTube TV as well as my TCL 6 Series Roku TV also running YouTube TV.  Both devices also support all the other popular streaming apps, NetFlix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO Max, etc.  The TCL Roku TV even supports Apple TV+ with Airplay and HomeKit support.  

For our family YouTube TV had a really great channel selection at a reasonable price and features like the unlimited cloud based recording are unbeatable.  

While you can have up to 6 "accounts" so folks get their own profiles/storage/etc - you can only have 3 simultaneous streams - regardless of device.   With that said - versus previous streaming options I tried - it's great.  

From a general picture & sound quality perspective - I had a great experience with both devices and YouTube TV.  No problems with 1080p content and high quality audio.  I use an Orbi WiFi 6 Mesh network in my home and have FTTH 1GB internet service - so bandwidth is not an issue.  And if I do want to stream something in 4K like a rented movie - both devices support it.  

Coming from Cable/Sat - you need to adjust to a different UI for things like the Guide - but you can customize the order so your primary channels come up first.  Recording is a breeze and you don't have all that record 3 and watch one scenario you have with Set Top Box based systems.

The big difference between Chromecast/Google TV and Roku was around navigation and voice commands - especially within an App.  

For example with the Chromecast/GoogleTV if I was in the YouTube TV App I could use voice to easily change channels.  I could say ABC or NBC or MSNBC for example and the app would switch to that channel.   But I couldn't get to my recordings library by simply saying library - it would recognize the word - but go to a blank screen.

With Roku in app voice navigation doesn't work at all.  If I was within the YouTube TV app and said NBC - it wanted to leave YouTube TV app and launch the NBC app - so it doesn't understand the concept of in-app voice navigation.  

Additionally - Chromecast/GoogleTV does allow for direct external audio device control - for example - I could control an older Bose soundbar that is connected via optical cable

The TCL Roku TV does not support direct device control via the remote.   Roku does support s/PDIF & ARC over HDMI - so if you have an ARC or "Roku Ready" compliant soundbar or speaker it will work fine.

So in my opinion you can go either route.  Personally I think TCL Roku TVs are excellent and Roku constantly updates them with improvements, additional channels, etc.  I used to loath "Smart TVs" because most had a limited number of apps and would often drop them plus their UI kind of sucked.  I don't feel that way at all with either the Roku or Chromecast/Google TV.  

If you looking to support ATSC Digital Broadcast channels it used to be your only real choice was an ATSC antenna.  That has also changed. Now services like Locast stream those channels over the internet - so no need to buy expensive or cumbersome ATSC antenna.  And it's inexpensive - typically a $5 / month donation as Locast is a non-profit.   Locast is region specific - but here in Phoenix metro - I was able to see some 45+ digital channels and get full 1080p and good quality sound. 

Today I feel very confident that I can cut the cord and meet the two key criteria I had.  I can get all the content my family wants and can reduce the cost of those services.  This is a great improvement over just two years ago and my plan is to do just that in 2021.

Yes you may have to buy some new devices to support all the Apps, etc that you want - but that cost is easily re-couped by the lower monthly cost over Cable/Sat. but ridding yourself of STBs, cables, and the whole mess along with assocaited equipment fees is worth it.   Plain and simple - unless you live in an area that does not have decent internet - Cable and Sat are dead...

Will you get 300+ channels when compared to some Cable/Sat high end packages - no.  Do you need 300+ channels - probably not. 

Have a great 2021.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solar Storage - 2023 Update

ASUS RT-AC68U Router & WDS - a nice solution for a large home.

Home Automation Platforms + Matter - Early Observations