Windows 10 - Build 10532 - Not much to talk about

MS released Windows 10 Build 10532 to Fast Ring folks this week and I applied to two desktops, a laptop and a tablet.

In all cases the update downloaded and installed okay with only 1 issue and that was with one of my desktops.   In this case I don't blame MS - but rather AMD and their support for older Radeon video cards.   One of my machines has a Radeon 4850 video card.   AMD had decided not to support anything earlier than Radeon 6000 series on Windows 10.   So starting with Build 10525 - AMD has provided an updated video driver which does not install properly and therefore leaves my video resolution settings at either 1024 x 768 or 1280 x 1024 - neither of which is close to the 1920 x 1080 that I normally have been running.

I had been running an older Windows 8 version of Catalyst for the 4850 which was working fine and providing proper resolution - but AMD made it almost impossible to go backwards.  I did decide to order a new Radeon R7 card - but AMD and NVidia in my opinion have done a crappy job supporting Windows 10 and with more and more desktop boards supporting Intel's graphics - I think they are loosing ground and trying to force upgrades when they really aren't needed.

So on to 10532 itself.   So there is really only 1 noticeable difference and that is when you right click on the start icon to get the advanced menu.  And that difference is a more consistent look with the regular left click start menu.

But many things still just don't work right and this is starting to get annoying. Location is still a mess.   On the machine I am writing this post from - Windows 10 can't seem to get my location correct within 2 miles.   The same machine running Windows 8.1 - pinpoints me exactly.  

The Live tiles still don't update consistently.  Store updates still fail on a regular basis with no good explanation.  And this behavior is inconsistent.  Some things work great on my tablet while they don't on my desktop and vice versa.    

Bottom line is Windows 10 is still not really ready for prime time and I really can't recommend it to non-techie folks.  

As far as this writer is concerned Windows 10 is pretty much junk and not worth the effort to upgrade.   It provides no real value and in my opinion a poorer user experience than Windows 7 or 8.1.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ASUS RT-AC68U Router & WDS - a nice solution for a large home.

Solar Storage - 2023 Update

Home Automation Platforms + Matter - Early Observations