Windows 10 Build 14926 - Just plodding along....

On Wednesday Sept 14, MS released Windows 10 Redstone 2 Branch build 14926 to Fast Ring Insiders for both PC and Mobile.

This build included about a dozen or fixes for PC and a little over half a dozen for Mobile.  

Installation on PCs and my Lumia 735 worked smoothly.  But my Dell tablet running 14915 had issues.  The 14926 build never downloaded because the Windows Update service was hung and could not be manually stopped or started.  Even using known work arounds to try and revive the service, it remained hung and required a system reset to finally get things working.

The one area I was interested in seeing if there was improvement was with WiFi on Mobile.  Under build 14915 - I started experiencing WiFi hangs that required regular reboots to get working again, only to have it hang later in the day or overnight.  To me at this point in the Windows 10 cycle - these types of basic device handling issues is unacceptable.   Sure these are test builds, but I consider things like networking to be basics and should at this point be rock 
solid.   This was identified as an issue by the build team and they have provided was they call Legacy WiFi to network settings as a potential interim fix.  But in my case I wasn't using legacy WiFi configuration - so go figure.

This issue was annoying enough, that I even tried to return to the Anniversary build 14393 on my phone via the Device Recovery Tool.  And while it recognized my device - it showed no available builds to install. This to me reflects the myopic view that MS has towards Windows 10 Mobile and just a general lack of interest in anything except their latest devices.  

Most of the new features of this build focus on Edge, which I still barely use.  MS did fix the error with Adobe Reader.  

And even with new updates to apps like Mail & Calendar - MS still can't seem to properly update their live tile.   I've also had to logout from the MSN apps to get live tiles to properly update with current content.   Otherwise they never update or are blank.   

My point here is that these new builds so far don't appear to really be moving the needle very far from the Anniversary edition.  I'm not seeing any significant improvements in performance or capabilities.  While I have not been experiencing blue-screen failures of any kind, I have experienced the Windows Update and WiFi stability issues I mentioned.

We'll see how the rhythm of Redstone 2 progresses but so far it's not what I consider rapid.   Just plodding along.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solar Storage - 2023 Update

ASUS RT-AC68U Router & WDS - a nice solution for a large home.

Home Automation Platforms + Matter - Early Observations