Windows 10 - Build 16251 - The Split & Skip Ahead

On July 26th, MS released two versions of build 16251 of Windows 10 to Fast Ring Insiders.   One was named 16251.Release and the second was 16251.pre-release.   

Last week MS announced that Insiders could now choose something called Skip Ahead or the ability to begin receiving Redstone 4 pre-release builds instead of Redstone 3 "release" builds.   

So what's the difference ?   

For this release nothing other than the naming.  But soon I expect to see a split where we'll see multiple releases as we approach the Fall Creators update release date.   

First there will be incremental releases of the .release builds - so like 16258 next week for example that will focus on Fall Creators, then 17xxx for Redstone 4 builds.

There has no announcement on features or capabilities with Redstone 4 - so it may be a mixed bag.   I split my machines - so some will get Redstone 4 and others Redstone 3 release builds.   The nice news is I can always change..

16251 did install correctly on all machines, even including my old Dell Venue 8 Pro with an Atom Z3740D CPU.   Earlier this week MS had announced that certain Atoms would no longer be supported and luckily mine was not one of them.   But I suspect that as we get into Redstone 4 that they may get dropped as well as MS is focusing their efforts on ARM.

I did still have to perform several post install corrections to my laptop include Cisco AnyConnect, Conexant Audio and HP's Protection Sensor.  This time I also ran into issues with Synatpic SMBus touchpad.   My drivers showed both an traditional generic mouse driver and the SMBus - but the touchpad would not respond.  It took an uninstall - reinstall of the driver to get it working.

The updates are still slow.  Yes downloads are quick but end to-end can still take well over an hour.  

From a features perspective MS did add a new feature to Settings to allow you to configure a phone.  This feature syncs things like most recently used documents, etc between your PC and phone - so that as you move from one to the other - you can pick up where you left off.   I am trying it with my Android phone and we'll see how we it works.  This assumes you have all the associated MS apps installed on your phone (i.e. Office).  

One app that was announced last week and I still don't see in the Store is the new LinkedIn app.  Now that could be because I'm on test builds - but I'm not seeing it on Creators Update machines as well.

So here we are approaching August and it looks like we may only see a handful more Fall Creators builds before a September release and that the focus with the "split" is that I can start reporting on Redstone 4 builds soon.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ASUS RT-AC68U Router & WDS - a nice solution for a large home.

Solar Storage - 2023 Update

Home Automation Platforms + Matter - Early Observations