Windows 10 Build 16296 - Not the Production Release

Late in the day on Sept 22 - MS released the 3rd Windows 10 Build this week with 16296 to Fast Ring Insiders.  Again no release to Skip Ahead.

With only 3 fixes and a .0 extension to the build and with the Ignite conference next week - I was originally thinking that 16296 would be the Production Release.  

But with the return of the evaluation watermark - the answer is no.   Which to me is a little surprising since with the entire Insider team being in Orlando next week for Ignite I would have guessed that 16296 would have marked the RS3 Milestone and Release.

I updated three machines - my NUC took about 30 min, my old HP Desktop about an hour and my trusty Dell Venue 8 Pro almost 90 minutes.

Nothing to really report on the fixes themselves as they were niched towards hyper-v, foreign language and gaming.  

So unless we get a surprise this weekend - this kind of blows up my prediction of a sub 16300 build for Production release as I assume there will be at least one more.  

It will interesting to see what MS announces as features for Redstone 4 at Ignite. For now the only one that I now of is support for Progressive Web Apps (PWA) as the successor to the Universal Windows Platform (UWP) which to be honest has been a dud.  

We are now 5 years into the era of Store apps for Windows and it's been mixed. While on one side there is a portfolio out there and MS even tried the Store only supported Windows 10S it's not really caught on with developers as much as MS wanted.  Many developers complained about the lack of sophistication and constraints around UWP and we've seen as many vendors drop apps as add them.  

I can't say that PWA will change that perception and drive more developers towards Store Apps.  Personally for Windows - I think that ship sailed years ago towards mobile apps on iOS and Android and may not return.  

We'll just have to see what comes out of Redstone 4.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solar Storage - 2023 Update

ASUS RT-AC68U Router & WDS - a nice solution for a large home.

Home Automation Platforms + Matter - Early Observations