Windows 10 Build 17040 - Continued Small Improvements

On Nov 16, MS released Windows 10 build 17040 to Fast Ring and Skip Ahead Insiders.  

17040 contained some Settings improvements for SDR and HDR along with Touch Keyboard and Writing Pad input improvements with a new gesture control.  And along with some button improvements for Chinese handwriting - contained about 20 bug fixes.

Luckily I was able to install 17040 on both my test machines.  My one test laptop is AMD based and due to a bug check problem with 17035 was blocked from receiving it.  At the time of the 17035 release MS announced the block but I was expecting it to be lifted the following day.  Unfortunately it wasn't so never got a chance to run with it.  17040 Lifted that block.

Like many test builds - this one again was slow to apply - nearly 90 minutes for my laptop and over 2 hours for my tablet.

I will say the touch keyboard improvements seem nice - but I don't do enough of it on my tablet.  Similarly with the handwriting input.  The one place I do handwriting is in One Note which is not impacted by the writing pad input method.

I had been experiencing a lot of black screen freezes and a couple BSODs with 17025 across a number of applications from Chrome to Outlook, so hopefully I'll experience less of them in 17040.

Right now the RS4 branch is plodding along.   This may have been the last update until after the Thanksgiving holiday.   I don't expect much in the way of new feature now until next year.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ASUS RT-AC68U Router & WDS - a nice solution for a large home.

Solar Storage - 2023 Update

Home Automation Platforms + Matter - Early Observations