Windows 10 Build 17046 - Some Edge & Input Updates

So was a little surprised this morning - Nov 23 - to see build 17046 of Windows 10 released to Fast Ring & Skip Ahead Insiders considering we are in a holiday week here is the US.

Continuing the theme we've seen with the last couple of updates the focus of 17046 was improvements to both Edge and Input methods.  For Edge MS added a feature that I've been used to for years with Chrome and that is auto-form fill for things like addresses.   On the input side there is a new Emoji Panel if your into them and finally there was one Shell update that allows you to navigate directly to UWP app settings right from the start screen vs navigating the settings app.  In addition the build included about 15 fixes.

So while the good news is that 17046 was supported on both my AMD based laptop and Intel Atom tablet - the bad news was it's still a slow update - 70 - 80 minutes on laptop and 100+ on tablet.

I'm happy to report that the update to 17040 practically eliminated green screen and black screen hangups.  I think in the last week I experienced one.
My hope is that we're past those kind of issues.

Bottom line is the Redstone 4 Branch continues to slowly move forward.   There were no new Fluent design elements called out but I expect that to continue.  

As a side note - MS have released an app that may help drive the new MR headset sales.  Minecraft 1.2.5 was released that allows MR headset users to be fully immersed in Minecraft.  Some of initial reviews are quite positive and there is a huge worldwide audience for Minecraft.   

I know my grand-daughter is one of that audience.  With that said, I'm not sure I'd buy one.  My biggest challenge with these new MR headsets is the cord.  Considering that she would plug this into her new Inspiron 7000 series laptop - I can easily see her either A) pulling the cords out or B) pulling her laptop off the desk.  Plus @ $449 for a Dell Visor + Controllers it's a bit much for just playing Minecraft.  

What is also surprising to me is that these new MR headsets are not supported on the new Xbox One X.  And while that may change in the coming months - I am not sure if MS will support the 3rd party units from Dell, HP, Asus, etc or if it will be an MS developed xBox branded unit.  

More to come on this subject as the months move forward - but for this years Christmas season - I don't see these blowing off the shelves.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ASUS RT-AC68U Router & WDS - a nice solution for a large home.

Solar Storage - 2023 Update

Home Automation Platforms + Matter - Early Observations