Experiments in Cord Cutting Part 1 - not quite there yet

Over the holidays - I did some experimentation with cord cutting - that approach of streaming content over the internet versus utilizing broadcast, cable or satellite providers to reduce cost and provide flexibility on the types of devices you can watch Live TV on.

Like so many of you - I've been streaming some level of content for years.  For example if you rent a movie via DirecTV - you are actually streaming over the internet versus having it sent via down via Satellite.  

I've also been a Netflix subscriber for years and have had a good experience whether the app was embedded in a TV OS or via a streaming device - like Apple TV.  

But this time I wanted to experiment with Live TV services - like DirecTV Now and Sony's PSVue..

So first I needed a streaming device that could support both platforms.  I chose Roku's Streaming Stick+ that I was able to pick up for $49.  

Next - I subscribed to both Sony's PS Vue and DirecTV Now services.  For both I chose their top of the line services.  

For PS Vue I chose their Ultra plan that included 90 channels along with HBO and Showtime.  PS Vue allows for up to 5 simultaneous streams for a single $74.99 monthly fee and Cloud DVR.  

For DirecTV Now I chose their "Gotta Have It" plan for $70 than includes 120+ channels - but no HBO or Showtime.  HBO and Showtime are available for an extra $5 & $8 / month respectively.   DirecTV Now only allows 2 streams per subscription and does not include Cloud DVR at this time.  The expectation is that it will be available soon as it has been beta testing this fall...

With both services I was able to get access to local TV affiliate channels for things like news, sports, weather.   So ABC, CBS, Fox & NBC.

Setting the Roku Streaming Stick Plus was a breeze - simply insert into an open HDMI input in my TV and power up.  I was easily able to connect to my 802.11ac WiFi network on 5Ghz.  

Once I created a Roku account and setup a profile I added the PS Vue and DirecTV Now apps.  And since the Roku also included NetFlix and Google Play it's a pretty compelling device for cutting the cord.  

If I have one criticism it's that the remote could do a better job at controlling more than just the TV and the Roku Stick.  My test TV has a Bose Solo 5 soundbar and you can not control power or volume of the Bose with Roku's remote.  So something to consider when planning out a system.

Now on to the experience.  Both services had pretty easy registration of the Roku to their services.  Typically this was a code based system whereby you launched the app from the Roku then entered a code via the service site.

Once logged into service - it took a little bit of navigation experimentation to easily get to things like the Guide.  Once there - you first have to change your thought process about finding content.  While the Roku does have voice command capability - it's more about changing services and not "channels" within a service.   So for example saying "tune to Fox" for example within PS Vue or DirecTV did not work.  

You also have to forget the time honored concept of channel numbers - the channels are typically list alphabetically so versus what we've been used to forever of local channels being bunched together and then "cable" and premium channels

Both services use what they call Adaptive streaming meaning - the quality of video and sound you get is very dependent on your available bandwidth.  Both services require 10Mbps for the first stream and 5Mbps for each additional.  

Using the monitoring capabilities on my Asus router - I noticed that to be true typically ranging from 1 - 14Mbps.   And even with my granddaughter streaming YouTube and Gaming my router or local network never seemed strained.

I have 150 Mbps internet service via Cox running through an Arris SB-6183 along with an Asus RT-AC68P Router.  My average results on OOKla SpeedTest.net is about 120 - 140 Mbps.  The router was showing communication to/from the Roku @ 173 Mbps.  

So in my mind there should have been no reason for downgrading my audio & video quality based on available bandwidth.

My initial test was streaming a football game on Fox.  With PS Vue I found the video to be more like 720p than 1080p quality and the audio was muted.  Sometimes it would get clearer - but overall the experience was average at best.

DirectTV was slightly better on video - but about the same with sound.  Switching back to my normal DirecTV service that utilizes an HR44 DVR and C41W STBs connected via a Wireless Video Bridge though the difference was immediate - a much clearer picture - and much better sound.  

With both services I did not experience a lot of "buffering".  I think with both it was about once during the entire game and only for 1 or 2 seconds.  However later than day - I switched to the local ABC affiliate station on DirecTV Now and almost immediately began experiencing buffering issues.  To the point where I had to switch to DirecTV normal service.

Considering the fact that I never see buffering when streaming from NetFlix or Google Play or normal DirecTV - I have to consider the services to be having the challenges...

Now there may be some additional tuning I need to do with QoS and other things to get a consistent service level - but I also have Adaptive Qos turned on with my router with streaming apps getting priority.

I am also going to experiment with connecting the Roku to one of my AV Receiver HDMI inputs on another TV and see if that improves anything.

One of the other capabilities I have not discussed so far is streaming to non-TV devices like phones, PCs, Tablets.  With those so far - the experience is very much like what I get with NetFlix today.  

I have not tested all the DVR on VOD capabilities yet - but that's coming.   I figured I'd give myself the month of Jan to see if we can live with these services.

So far while there is promise - we're not quite there yet...   

More to come...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solar Storage - 2023 Update

ASUS RT-AC68U Router & WDS - a nice solution for a large home.

Home Automation Platforms + Matter - Early Observations