WIndows 10 Build 17093 - Heading towards a release

On Feb 9, MS released build 17093 of Windows 10 to Fast Ring Insiders.  This mid Bug Bash release contained some 50+ bug fixes along with a couple of small improvements to Gamebar, Graphics Mgmt for multi GPU, HDR Support, Linux Subsystem, Edge Printing and Input.  MS also renamed Windows Defender in settings to Windows Security and allowed for better mgmt of Diagnostic Data.

For Windows S users MS is promoting alternative authentication based on Windows Hello to try and reduce or eliminate passwords.  If you have a Hello ready system there is also some improvements to eye tracking capabilities.  Finally there was some continued improvement is MS's Bluetooth stack to better pair devices quickly.

My Venue 8 Pro is still down for repairs - but updated my laptop to 17093 in the typical 90+ minutes.  I was travelling with slower WiFi - so not going to be too critical.  

When I look at the features listed above there are few if any I really use.  I will check out the HDR capabilities, I did experience a green screen reboot on the flight home when connecting to in flight WiFi - so there are some some stability issues on going.  But I really don't use the Linux Subsystem or utilize multi GPU systems or Edge. So not much impact.

With that said I did notice a battery and performance impact - I noticed certain background tasks like indexing to be pretty resource intensive post install and I experienced a pretty quick battery burn down during my return flight drained my system watching a movie while powering some BT headphones to just over 2 hours.  I've done some power plan tuning and we'll see if there is any improvement when I travel again this week..

Considering we are somewhere in the 6 - 8 week range from Spring Creators Update release (that's what MS is going to call it) the focus will continue to be towards bug bashing.  I expect the upcoming release to address another 50+ bugs.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ASUS RT-AC68U Router & WDS - a nice solution for a large home.

Solar Storage - 2023 Update

Home Automation Platforms + Matter - Early Observations