Windows 10 Build 15025 - The update pain continues

On Feb 1, MS released Windows 10 build 15025 to Fast Ring Insiders.  Just as with 15019 this was a PC only release.  Phones are still at 15014 and MS stated today that they were seeing some deployment issues so held off on releasing 15025 for phone.

The focus of 15025 was Ease of Use features like a Braille reader for Narrator that works with 3rd party braille displays as well as Mono Audio.  The update also included some 25 bug fixes, many focused on the new Game mode capabilities.

Unfortunately, the one big area that did not improve was the update process. 

On my PC I experienced an almost identical situation as I did with 15019.  I launched Windows update about 3 hours after the release announcement and I received an Initializing Update notice.  To complete the download and preparation phase took about 2.5 hrs with another 30 minutes or so to actually install 15025.

My tablet does not even see the 15025 build at all.  MS found issues with the 32bit build of 15025 and so blocked it from release.  My tablet runs an Intel Atom 3700 series - so will have to wait until next cycle.

There is still something very wrong with the UUP update process.  I've gotten into the habit of launching Task Manager right after I start an update to see how all the processes - Delivery Optimization, BITS, Windows Update, Modern Setup Host and all the other processes involved react.  It's actually quite a dance.  And maybe that's a part of the problem.

Today for example I watched Delivery Optimization consume between 12 - 30% of CPU and 70 - 120MB of RAM with absolutely zero disk or network IO for nearly 2 hours before it attempted to actually download the update.  Similarly I watched other services, run for periods not really doing anything or pausing for several minutes with no other processes really consuming more resources.  

I'm testing on an 8 Core i-7, with 16GB of RAM and SSD PC that is on an 802.11ac network.  There is absolutely no reason for this.   MS really needs to fix this and fast.  

As far as the build itself in concerned, I don't have braille content or a display to test and I haven't been experiencing and issues that were called out as fixed in the announcement.  So really nothing to report there.

With this last set of new feature releases starting with build 15014 - I am going to go out on a limb and state that the Creators update is effectively feature complete.  If MS is going to make their end March, early April release - I would expect a similar rhythm as we've seen with previous milestones.  15025 is effectively a bug bash release - so there will be that push, then I think maybe 4 or 5 more builds before release.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solar Storage - 2023 Update

ASUS RT-AC68U Router & WDS - a nice solution for a large home.

Home Automation Platforms + Matter - Early Observations