Why my next Android device will NOT be a Samsung

One of the many mobile devices I own is Samsung Galaxy S7.  While from a general feature performance standpoint it is an excellent device, there is one area where Samsung has fallen down and that is keeping current with Android.

I tend to purchase unlocked devices - personally I have always felt that it is the best approach - allowing me switch carriers easily if needed and not locking me into payment plans or contracts.  My Galaxy S7 is one such model the SM-G930U.  

My device current runs Android Marshmallow 6.01 and has security patches through Dec 1, 2016.   

Google released Android Nougat (7.0) back on August 22, 2016 and is already at 7.1.1 but yet my device has yet to update.  In fact Google is already well into development of Oreo or Android 8.  

Samsung is the market leader in smartphones - selling over 311M devices in 2016 alone.  More than the entire PC market and nearly 100M more than Apple. 

As Google's largest "customer" of Android - you would think they would have the edge when it comes to understanding the latest upcoming version and would take a leadership position of insuring that their customers have the latest OS running on their devices.  They certainly have the resources.

Now sure 2016 was a rough year for Samsung with the Note 7 battery issues - but still in my opinion there is no excuse for not having their flagship device running the latest Android version.  In fact I would argue that it should have been available within days of the Google announcement.   

But yet here we are nearly 7 months later and many Galaxy S7 users have still not received Nougat.   And while you can argue that Samsung have to work with the carriers etc.  That's a load of crap and a cop out on the part of Samsung. Especially in one of their largest markets - the US.

I'm sorry but you don't think that AT&T or Verizon or whomever wouldn't want to make sure that one of their largest selling devices isn't up to date ?

Samsung has scheduled the announcement of the Galaxy S8 for March 28.  So most likely it will run Nougat.  But if Samsung stays to their current ways - guess what those buyers won't see Oreo for maybe 6 - 9 months following release.   I would think Samsung would be much more in tune with this as their largest competitor Apple releases to world at one shot and that owners of previous devices are guaranteed a level of protection as they know they will most likely get it.

Now this problem has plagued Android since it's inception and Google has has to be partly to blame as well since they don't really enforce any timeliness around updates with the OEMs.  

But I go back to Samsung and say - get your act together and support your flagship customers.  As you seem unwilling to do so, then as many I will move on to another vendor who will support my investment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solar Storage - 2023 Update

ASUS RT-AC68U Router & WDS - a nice solution for a large home.

Home Automation Platforms + Matter - Early Observations