Windows 10 Mobile Build 15051 - Best Build to Date

On March 8, MS released Windows 10 Mobile build 15051 to Fast Ring Insiders. Obviously this was a mobile only build.  

This build did not have an extensive list of fixes listed - only 8 - but overall for my aging Lumia 735 it was the best Windows 10 build I've experienced.  

It is very obvious that the Redstone II branch is winding down and that some of the debugging code and other typical constraints are being lifted from the builds. 

Not only did the build download and install relatively quickly, but the end result runs extremely well.  Smooth and fast.   

MS did call out one potential issue with background OneDrive Camera Roll sync - but I did not experience that issue.   They stated that it would be fixed in a future build - so this is not the release build.

With all of that said, when the Creators Release does happen it will be my last Windows 10 Mobile build.  

First like with some of my PCs, my old Lumia just doesn't have the hardware to support many of the new features of Windows 10 and second - with the current hardware offerings on the market - I can't see investing in a new Windows Mobile device.  

And to be honest I expect MS to make an updated announcement of platform support moving forward for Windows 10 Mobile and I doubt that my Lumia will make the cut.

I think for many of the enthusiasts holding on to their old 3 series and 4 series Lumias - so 830, 735, 640, etc - this is the end of the line.  The 5 series folks - so 550, 650 and 950 may get one more branch down the road through Redstone III - but I expect that support to end as well.   

Now we'll just have to see when MS comes up with a new platform based on the new Qualcomm partnership - potentially based on the SnapDragon 835 to see if Windows "Mobile" has any future at all.   

Bottom line is Windows 10 Mobile 15051 is the best overall Windows 10 build I've seen to date.  According to the Feedback Hub it sounds like there may be one or two more prior to release - but for me it's the end of my Windows 10 Mobile support.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solar Storage - 2023 Update

ASUS RT-AC68U Router & WDS - a nice solution for a large home.

Home Automation Platforms + Matter - Early Observations